The Bank of Thailand will launch commemorative banknotes in remembrance of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej and in gratitude for his boundless and gracious kindness.
Governor of the Bank of Thailand Veerathai Santiprabhob stated that the commemorative banknotes comprise five types: 20 baht, 50 baht, 100 baht, 500 baht, and 1,000 baht.
The colors, sizes, and the portrait on the front side of commemorative banknotes are identical to the 16th series banknotes. The main element on the reverse side of each denomination depicts the familiar portrait of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej, along with various images reflecting the stories over his lifetime, as follows:
- 20 baht: The early life of H.M. King Bhumibol Adulyadej;
- 50 baht: H.M. King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s royal ceremonies and duties during the early time of his accession to the throne;
- 100 baht: H.M. King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s kindness through royal duties in rural areas;
- 500 baht: H.M. King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s wisdom and talents reflected through royal projects;
- 1,000 baht: The late reign of H.M. King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the beloved King of the Thai people.
The security features are identical to the 16th series banknotes; nevertheless, the special feature is located on the reverse side. The area around the portrait of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej will glow when it is viewed under ultraviolet light.
The commemorative banknotes will be put into circulation on 20 September 2017. The notes can be exchanged as regular circulating banknotes at any commercial bank, the Government Savings Bank, the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives, the Government Housing Bank, and the Islamic Bank of Thailand.